Who can do Private Lessons?
Anyone 3+ years old can do private lessons. You can put up to 3 people in your boat.
How much does it cost?
£50 BYC Members
£425 BYC Members (package of 10 lessons) – must be booked before end of April.
£70 All Other Visitors
These costs are per lesson which can be for up to 3 people.
When can I take a private lesson?
In the summer months private lessons will be restricted to Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons as the boats are being used for other courses too.
If you’re interested in lessons after the summer season, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or book through the Adult or Youth Sailing pages.
How long are the lessons?
The lessons are an hour and a half in total – 1 hr afloat and half an hour ashore doing rigging or theory. In winter the length of time afloat will depend more on air temperature. If the weather isn’t suitable for sailing we can postpone the lesson until a later date.
How do I make arrangements?
Booking: Please use this form and send with payment to the main office (BYC, Seacliff Road, Bangor, Bt205HT)
Please note that whether applying through the main office or online, you will need to contact email@example.com to arrange a time and a date that suits you, the instructor and the weather.
Should the weather not be suitable we can postpone the lesson to a more suitable date in the future.
Who are the instructors?
The instructors will be RYA trained Dinghy Instructors. We have a wide range of instructors at Ballyholme Yacht Club. You can let us know if you’ve a preference. Your lesson will depend on instructor availability and weather.
What do I need to bring?
- Windproof jacket, wetsuit and buoyancy aid are provided by us but you can bring your own if you wish
- warm clothing (lots of woollen layers) for the upper body
- a hat
- gloves (cycling gloves are good if you don’t have sailing ones)
- trainers that you don’t mind getting wet (not wellington boots) –wetsuit booties would be warmer for September
- warm socks
- a complete change of clothes
- plastic bin bag for wet clothes
- ties for long hair
- minimal jewellery
- MEDICATION (inhalers etc.)